In addition to direct, one-on-one messaging between users, there’s also the ability to message several users in a group. This is referred to sometimes in Raftr as a personal messaging group.
How to Create a New Personal Messaging Group
Creating a group message is almost exactly the same as creating a direct message, except when you see a list of members to chat with, you select more than one.
- Create button ーIf you use the +Create button and then select the Message option, you’ll see a list of suggested people you may want to send a message to. You can use the search feature there to find the right people, then select multiple recipients.
- Personal messaging inbox ーOn the mobile apps, when viewing all of your direct messages and personal messaging groups, select the add new (+) button to create a new message.
If you are a multi-community member, group messages can be sent to anyone in any community you have access to in Raftr, so it’s not required for all members to be in the same community as long as the group creator belongs to at least one community with each recipient.
Personal messaging groups have some additional functionality that one-to-one direct messages do not:
- Create private Events with a specific invitee list
- Change the name of the group chat (only the creator of the group can do this)
- Create and send Chat Polls
- Add a group image
Updating Your Notification Preferences for Personal Message Groups
In addition to customizing your notifications for Rafts and Channels, you can also customize your personal message group notifications. It works exactly the same as updating message preferences for a Channel. Open the DM you want to adjust and then select the Information (i) icon to open the menu. Select Chat under Notification Preferences to mute, reduce, or increase the amount of notifications you receive from that specific person or group. The DM conversations you customize will also be available in the Messages section of your overall Notification Settings screen.